Skip over navigationStart Content
Community Points of Pride
- Danville's town motto is "A great place to spend an hour or a lifetime."
- In 1824, four men each provided 20 acres to form the original platted town. A stake was driven into the ground at the point where all four parcels met and the courthouse was located on that spot.
- Danville is the geographic center of the county.
- The Danville Library was completed in 1903 with a $10,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie.
- The first twenty-three acres of Ellis Park were purchased in 1913.
- Central Normal College flourished in Danville from 1878 to 1951. An estimated 75,000 students graduated from this renowned teacher's college. Today, the Danville Town Hall occupies the campus of the former CNC. Before it was the Town Hall, it was home to the Danville Middle School.
- Hendricks County Hospital was built in Danville in 1962.
- Danville's local newspaper, The Republican, has been in continuous operation from the same building since 1897.
- Samuel "Big Sam" Thompson, a Danville native born in 1860, was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1974. He still holds the record for RBIs with a per game average of .921.
- The first post office located on the southwest corner of Jefferson and Marion streets is now a county office, but still contains a hand-painted mural commissioned in 1938. The mural remains in place and the property of the U.S. Postal Service.
- The Red Geranium is the official Town flower.
If you have any questions regarding this service, please contact .